Speaking of pseudo-scientific garbage (weren’t we?) I thought that everyone was on the same page about Enviga,but I just read a blog post extolling its amazing virtues,on a fairly big-name professional blog.
Just to recap the situation:
1. Enviga is produced by the Coca Cola company,in cooperation with Nestle’.
2. Enviga’s supposed calorie-burning benefits were proven by the company’s own research. As a general rule,when a company does its own research,the findings usually come out in the company’s favor. (Funny,that.)
3. CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest –essentially an industry watchdog) is threatening to file a lawsuit against the Coca Cola company unless it drops the calorie-burning claims. CSPI states that “the evidence that Enviga has even a minor effect is weak and inconsistent at best,and that the claims violate federal food law and state consumer protection laws.”
Do yourself a favor and take a pass on the Enviga. Whatever it is,it ain’t science.
Speaking of consumer issues w/r/t corporate hate,I’m two steps closer to switching from Blockbuster Online to Netflix:
1. Netflix carries Maxed Out:Hard Times,Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders (which,I am given to understand,is a movie that everyone should see). Blockbuster Online doesn’t. Not sure if Blockbuster stores do or not (I’ll check next time I’m there). This is more likely an issue with distribution channels than some kind of grand conspiracy,since Netflix is partial owner of the movie rights.
2. Netflix has a “Suggest a Movie”link. Blockbuster Online’s website and help system doesn’t even acknowledge the possibility that you might WANT to suggest a movie. Why would you want to do that? WE PICK YOUR MOVIES,YOU SHUT YOUR FACE.
But oh,I do so love the way Blockbuster designed their service with the “double up”loophole. For $17.99/month,I can have up to six movies at a time (three of them from the store). However,if the rumors pan out and Blockbuster raises its prices I am so outta there.
Actually,that reminds me that I’m three steps closer:
3. All the staff members at the Anacortes Blockbuster store annoy the hell out of me,each in their own special way.